Is sipping hot coffee or eating ice cream sometimes a painful experience for you? Do you wince occasionally when you brush or floss? If so, you may have sensitive teeth.
There are several causes of sensitive teeth. It’s typically caused by exposed tooth roots or a worn tooth enamel. However, there are times when tooth discomfort is caused by other things, like a chipped or broken tooth, a cavity, gum disease, or a worn filling.
Below are some of the most common causes of sensitive teeth.
1. Brushing too hard – Using a toothbrush that has hard bristles and brushing vigorously can wear down the enamel of your tooth, exposing the dentin. It can also lead to root exposure and gum recession. This is one of the main reasons why your Dallas dentist recommends that you use a toothbrush with soft bristles. Remember to go gently!
2. Gum disease – When your gums are inflamed, it pulls away from the tooth and exposes vulnerable areas, causing sensitivity.
3. DIY tooth whitening – Remember that some at-home whitening kits may contain ingredients which can irritate the tooth nerve. Check with your dental professional before trying a DIY tooth whitening product. Some recommend the use of lemon juice to whiten teeth, but it is an extremely acidic substance that can further lead to more tooth sensitivity.
4. Tooth grinding – Do you sometimes wake up with a sore jaw? Tooth grinding can damage the tooth’s enamel, possibly crack or chip a tooth, and wear down your teeth. It may also expose the dentin – the tooth’s inner layer – making your teeth more susceptible to decay and sensitivity.
5. Diet – Surprised? Yes, your diet can also cause your teeth to become sensitive. Consuming acidic foods and beverages daily, like citrus fruits, tea, tomatoes, and pickles can cause the enamel of your teeth to erode, making them sensitive.
If you have sensitive teeth, it’s best to visit your Dallas dentist. She might recommend the following solutions:
If you have further questions or need treatment for tooth sensitivity, get in touch with your Dallas dentist.