A wonderful outdoor picnic is always a great way to celebrate summer. Sitting on a blanket, basking on the warm sunshine, hanging out with friends and family while eating delicious foods is the epitome of summer perfection.
When planning a mouth-healthy family picnic, pack these nutritious eats that are not only good for your teeth, but will also energize and nourish you!
Turkey club sandwich
Make your mouth water and satisfy your hunger with a hearty, healthy turkey sandwich.
What you’ll need:
- Turkey breast
- Multi-grain bread
- Gouda cheese
- Cooked bacon
- Yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Romaine lettuce leaves
- Pickle slices
- Turkey is a good source of phosphorous and protein to boost your energy and encourage healthy teeth, muscles, and bones.
- Multi-grain bread can help reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Lettuce is packed with folate as well as vitamins A, E, and K. It encourages saliva production too, which with help keep your tooth enamel healthy by cleaning your mouth.
Packed with nutrients and flavor, a broccoli salad is both healthy, crunchy, and delicious. Skip the mayo since it has a tendency to spoil outside.
What you’ll need:
- Broccoli, finely chopped
- Sunflower seeds
- Sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Red onion, finely chopped
- Apple cider vinegar
- Olive oil
- Dijon mustard
- Fine sea salt
- Garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- Broccoli is considered a superfood and with good reason. It is rich in calcium and vitamin C, which can lower your risk of gum disease.
- Sunflower seeds are rich in vitamin E. As an antioxidant, vitamin E can help reduce the risk of heart disease and high blood pressure, as well as lower inflammation.
Be sure to plan before the trip so you can pack fresh and healthy foods. To make the most out of your day, here are some tips:
- If possible, walk to your destination.
- Pack a reusable water bottle so that the family stays hydrated.
- Take the food out only when you are ready to eat. Perishable foods like potato salad or cold cut meats should only be left out around two hours at most.
- Chew sugar-free gum with xylitol or drink water when the meal is over to wash away acids, food residue, and bacteria in your mouth.
Whether you are having a picnic at your own yard or going to a special destination, careful planning for a mouth-healthy family picnic will make eating outside even more enjoyable!